2011 and Job's birth story

(The above collage is just a collection of some special memories from 2011. )

I realized the other day that I never wrote out the details of Job's birth day.  I decided now is the perfect time: both of my babies are sleeping, Christmas music is playing, and a chai tea latte is settling in my tummy.

From the beginning, I knew that Job would arrive early.  I just knew.  The older I get, the more I believe in that still, small voice inside.  Some call it intuition and others call it poppy talk, wink wink, but I believe.  And I'm not talkin' about Santa Claus here.

But I digress.

It was Wednesday, October 19th.  I woke up with a feeling of ohmygoodness.  I need to accomplish everything today.  I need to clean everything.  I need all of my laundry done.  I need to pack bags for Graeme.  I need to find a sitter for Cali.  I need, I need, I need.........  And so, I tackled the most important thing first:  I finished spray painting a towel holder for the guest bathroom.  Don't worry, I wore! a! mask! and it took all of three minutes besides.

The previous Saturday, I had woken up with contractions.  But that morning, I felt even more different.  By the end of the day, I knew that his arrival would be soon.  I wasn't having any contractions and hadn't had any since that Saturday, but I just felt that change was in the air.  That night, I sat on the couch as Steve french-pressed some coffee in the kitchen and I said to him, rather confidently, "he'll be here by Friday". Steve was a little startled.  Remember, my due date was not until November 6th.  Around 10:30 that night, I headed upstairs to catch a shower before going to bed.  Whenever I take a shower at night, I always blow-dry my hair to avoid looking like a zombie--it's just bad news if I don't.  However, that night I was so tired, I crawled into bed without touching the blow dryer.  But I remember thinking, I'm so going to regret this if I go into labor!  Steve and I were chatting a bit, but he was quickly falling asleep.  All was quiet for about three minutes and then I heard and felt a popping sound.  I remember thinking, was that my water breaking? what else could that have been?,  but nothing happened.........for about two seconds.  And the moment I moved ever so slightly, well, I knew.  I told Steve and then promptly headed to blow dry my hair!  I know, complete vainness.  But I knew this time around that we had time on our hands.  I had no contractions. Nothing, zippo, nada.

( I do think it is amazing that my water broke on the exact same night of my pregnancy with Graeme.  In both pregnancies my water broke on the night before the beginning of the 38th week! )

We called a friend to stay the night with Graeme and we headed to the hospital about an hour and a half later.  Upon checking in and getting settled ( the time was now around three in the morning ) they offered me something to eat and I did.  I wanted to buy time and I knew if I ate, a c-section would have to be postponed at least eight hours.  I wanted to give Job the full opportunity for a natural birth.

I won't go into many details here, but I will simply say that I believe too much in the sovereignty of God to think that my babies were to be born any other way than cesarean.  I am so thankful for the midwives that I was able to work with this time around.  I knew they would do their best at working towards a VBAC.  Around 9:00 a.m. on Thursday morning, October 20th, one of my favorite midwives came in and talked to me.  She was so kind but very honest.  She told me things did not look good and that she recommended a cesarean delivery.  And then she told me something that made me so grateful that I live in the times that I do.  She said that a hundred years ago I wouldn't have lived to see my baby.  Sobering.

They took me into the operating room around noon and at 12:32 we heard that most amazing sound and we immediately knew that we had a live-wire on our hands, wink wink.  And, we sobbed.  We cried happy, happy tears as we took in the sight of our precious, sweet Job.  There's nothing like seeing the face of your newborn baby.

I'm pretty for certain that Job is our favorite gift of twenty-eleven.....


  1. So beautiful, I cried. We just had our first nov 28th 2010. She just turned 1 and I can't believe it's been a year already it just flies by. My delivery couldn't have been more different. I had contractions all night 10 minutes apart, the next day I did everything under the sun to get ready, the next day contractions again 10 minutes apart, and then by 3pm closer, we went to the hospital at 9pm, I was already dilated 6cm, with contractions every 1-2 minutes apart, and we had our little girl by 7am. It was lovely. I had her the natural way but every woman that I knew who was pregnant all had c-sections. Oh and I totally showered, shaved, did my hair and makeup. Kinda silly, but I looked nice in my pictures. Lol

  2. Thanks for sharing your story. Job is such a sweetie!!

  3. So wonderful. Each one is such a miracle and gift. I love how the family starts to take a turn of a different facet with each child! It's so exciting and interesting and perfectly uncertain! I am so thankful for God's protection and provision and peace for you through the guidance of each step of your labor and delivery! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to watch what twenty twelve brings along for the Branines!!! ***Happy New Year***


Thank you so much for reading here and sharing life with me!